FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Front Yard vs. Backyard

Whenever I see someone else's life that I think would be better to have than my own, I do my best to remember this analogy.

Front Yard


The Front yard vs. Backyard


Backyard

When we interact with people we generally show them our "front yard". It is nice and tidy. Everything is well groomed- looks like a great place to live. But what we don't let others see is the "backyard." That is where we moved all the junk so that is can't be seen. It is messy, needs to be mowed and only a few people get to see the backyard.
 

Of course it makes sense that we all want to put our best foot forward, but what I think sometimes happens is we are looking out the window at our own messy backyard and see our neighbors' lovely front yards and imagine their whole property and house must just look as wonderful. But we've all got junk in our backyard, and it feels good to remember that.

I recently had my own run in with comparison. It has been a while since I had checked out my friends' blogs, and I thought it was time to catch up. I saw pictures of beautiful happy families, fun vacation pictures, amazing crafts and sewing, savory meals and sweet treats. By the time I was done I felt very low and depressed. (And I usually have a good sense of self-worth). But for hours after I could only think about what they had done, and what I hadn't.

 After discussing this with close friends, I was able to correct my perspective and bounce back. But it taught me some lessons- keep this in mind when looking at others' blogs and don't go over exaggerate with your own posts.

With this blog, I don't want to give the false impression that I live an "ideal off -grid life" filled with sunny days and endless moments joy and progress.

There have been some great times and some rough times.  

But it comes down to this: It has all been worth it because of the lessons I have learned.


 
 










3 comments:

Savannah said...

What a great reminder! And Ellen, you two are so very wonderful and impressive it's hard to believe you could find yourself coming upnshort by anyone's measurements!

NatalieD said...

Very inspirational post, Ellen. You are amazing!

Amber said...

I'm so happy you started writing again here. I've been checking it off and on for the last year to see if you were going to pick up. I'm sure it's hard to come back to it after what happened to Garrett. And Savannah is right, you are a pretty amazing woman, and I love hearing about how you guys are doing!

PS I love your new haircut!