FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Watching the Two Year Olds

As I get on my friends' blogs I pay extra attention to the ones that have a child that has newly turned two. I look to see how tall the child is; I study the face. I read about their antics. I watch the video clips, and I wonder.


I wonder about my two year old. I wonder what it would be like for Gabe to have his older brother to play with.
Though it is bitter to think about- the thought is there. And just like the stars cannot prevent the dominating light that comes with the rise of the morning sun, I realize there is no use in trying to block the rise of these thoughts. They rise and fall as milestones come and go.

However, I can find peace and comfort when I shift from thinking about my empty arms to the things in my life that I am grateful for. 
Of course the event of losing a child has changed me. I truly understand what it means to mourn with those that mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort. My heart aches for those that lose a loved one.

At the same time, I am also less sympathetic. It is very rare that my heartbreaks for a whining mother whom seems to have forgotten the amazing gift that her children are. For example:

Last summer a mother I know was trying to get a very worn out and screaming 4 year old ready for bed. Both the mother and father were understandably exhausted and their other children were trying to sleep. Between the moments of tantrums, this mother looked at me and with a 'poor me' tone said, "Don't you wish you were me?" I didn't say a word, but let my blank face be the most dignified response to her victim like remarks. My rising thought was "Yes! Yes, I would rather have my son at the age of 4 screaming in my arms than where he is right now. Would you like our children to trade places?" Perhaps, in her mind it seemed that her life's woes were bigger than my newly childless one because now I didn't have to deal with the woes of parenthood. I was 8 month pregnant with my second child at the time and longed to hold a child of my own in my arms again.

With that said, I know every moment of motherhood is not filled with sentimental bliss- there are hard days and tough weeks. There have been times I am holding an inconsolable infant in my arms in the early morning hours, and I feel an urge of frustration because I am so tired and just need sleep.

But I have learned to keep a perspective. Yes, this child is screaming now, but he won't scream forever and my life is better off for having him here, and one day I will miss having him as my little boy. Then I hug him and do my best to soothe him and myself.

Somehow in the dark week just after Garrett's death I was able to find comfort in gratitude. I thought about my brother and other couples I knew, including three couples in my current ward, that had tried to have their own children, but weren't able to. I thought about the pain it would be to not be able to have a child of your own. In that despairing moment, I became grateful that I got to have my baby, even if it was for just five months.

Much like Pollyanna, I often catch myself playing "the glad game" in my head to cope with life challenges. I felt validated when I heard Thomas S. Monson recently speak on "The Divine Gift of Gratitude" In his remarks he said, "To live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven." With all my heart I desire to "touch heaven" and to have heaven in my home.

 I know the power of gratitude. It can give some light to a dark time. It can heal where there has been a deep wound. It can fill a seemingly empty cup. I am grateful for my friends’ blogs with pictures of their two year olds that help me paint of picture of what my little two year old might be like.


9 comments:

heather said...

Thank you so very much for putting these thoughts to words for all of us to read. They are beautiful, moving, and inspiring. I gain my own personal, needed perspective through reading them, and I am grateful for that. Thank you.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

We love you guys! Sometimes when I think about all that Rebecca is doing, I think about Garrett too. And our kids STILL pray for your family every time they say a prayer.

Artsy Aut said...

I really appreciate your perspective. Today is one of those frustrating days for me, but you are right, its so important to take a step back and be so so glad for what Ive been blessed with.

Mom N said...

Hi, Ellen. Jessie directed my attention to your blog--I haven't looked at it for a long time because there was never anything there. Now I know why. Thanks for sharing all this--sorry Bro. Nichols and I knew nothing about it. We don't do Facebook. I don't know if Bishop Peterson was aware of your story--we're not in touch with them much either these days--but I'll let them know and direct them here. You're in our thoughts & prayers. Thanks for your courage and wisdom. We love you.

Jeff & Julie Nichols

Amber said...

Thank you for these inspiring words Ellen. It's just what I needed to read today! You have gone through an awful experience losing Garrett, thank you for sharing some of your thoughts. They were absolutely beautiful.

Megan and Jeremy said...

Thank you Ellen-beautiful! I can always use a good message of gratitude in my life. Sometimes it's easy to lose focus & forget how blessed our lives truly are despite the challenges. Thanks again.

Roseanne said...

I am so thankful for your words here. They are so touching and so moving.

Abbie said...

I'm so glad you commented on our blog! I didn't know you started blogging again and I've really enjoyed reading the latest posts.

I think this post is especially amazing. You put it into words wonderfully. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Very inspiring. I need to work on being more grateful.

(side note: you should think about submitting this to a good grief http://www.agoodgrief.com - it would help a lot of people struggling with their own loss and your writing is so beautiful)

It's funny, you and I live very different lives (heehee), but I could relate to almost everything you've been writing. We aren't living the typical suburban life and sometimes I feel isolated from that world and drool over people's backyards and open spaces, but then try to remind myself that I really love my life although it might be different.

Love your blog - keep up the good work and I'm putting it in my reader so I don't miss a post!

Haley said...

I love you Ellen.
I have been in many situations similar to your story of the screaming kid. So many times I have been asked the same selfish questions from mothers and have trouble finding sympathy for complaining or neglectful mothers. I always questioned if anyone else in the world could understand how I felt inside when I looked at others children. You may or may not remember that Matt & I had lost two pregnancies years ago and it would truly be a miracle if we could have our own child now. I still think about my first child often and every October when he should have been born I imagine what it would be like. I could have an eight year old right now. I could not even imagine having held his hand and kissed his face then I lost him. I am so grateful for you and your words.