FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Oh, Heidi

I am not sure how many of you know that my long running "guilty pleasure" is watching Project Runway, along with Project Runway All Stars. (You know it's bad when you have dreamed you've been on the show. . . . ummmmm, at least different three times- and I don't even sew!)

 For years (yes, YEARS) I have watched faithfully as Heidi and Tim present the challenges and then Nina, Michael and Heidi critique what these fashion hopefuls have extended all their creative juices to make.  I know seems like an odd match for a girl who won't even where a sleeveless shirt to the gym and can't remember the last time she cussed to so fully enjoy a show that is laced with profanity and modesty is a nonissue--(and don't worry they bleep the swearing out.)

I guess it draws me in because I can't help but wonder how I would be able to handle myself if I were in their shoes. (Hence, the premise of many of the dreams) I am impressed by their amazing sewing skills and also the innovative designs that many of them come up with.  Plus, it really is someone following their dream.

I think that Heidi Klum is pretty awesome too. Mother of 4- who sounds like she simply adores her kids whenever she is asked about them. She has become a business women with many clothing lines ranging from maternity, to women's daily wear and now to kids.

 But I think the thing that I like the most about her is the mix of her firm, no nonsense stance, with her friendly and up beat personality. It is kind of how I'd like to be as a teacher. I like to be nice and approachable, but at the same time my students know they can't mess around with the rules in my class. (And no, I have never met her. I realize I only see what she is like on TV.)

Heidi seemed to have it all going for her, but then she and her hubby, Seal, surprised us by announcing they were splitting last year.

WHAT?!?! I was shocked. They always looked so happy in pictures and had such a cute little family. What happened?

They both kept their reasons and details of it very private, but at one point Seal said some disparaging remarks about Heidi. Her response was very appropriate and she said something like, "It makes me sad that my children's father would spread untrue rumors about their mother." Seal ended up "clarify" his statement- which means he really took it back.

Months after they had split, Heidi was in an interview with Katie Couric. Katie pressed her for information and asked "So what really happened? Why did you split?" Heidi answered in a very classy fashion and explained that even though she is in the public eye very often that she still "likes to keep some things close to her heart". As far as I know she has never dished on what went wrong. I really respect her for it.

So that brings me to my split and the ending of my marriage.

I am going to take the same approach as Heidi and keep things fairly private.

Through it all I have remained rather silent because I would have rather have kept it close to my heart. I created this post because I want to acknowledge the changes that are happening in my life.

These past few years have been filled with huge life lessons. It has been a lot to deal with in such a short time.  But with these experiences has come wisdom that I couldn't have gain otherwise.

I am happily moving forward.

9 comments:

Janelle said...

Oh, Ellen. Thanks for sharing, but also for keeping it close to your heart. It takes a big person to keep things clean and positive through tough times. Much love to you and your two littles.

Banshee said...

Love you Ellen.

Artsy Aut said...

First of all, I love project runway too! Its my very favorite show!! Second, I hope your next few years are easier. And I hope you follow your heart and do whats best for you and your two little ones! You are a brave girl! :)

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry Ellen! You really have been through a lot. You are a strong person though and I know you will make it through all of this. Thinking about you!!
-Ashley Williams

Susan Carpenter Sims said...

I have never seen Project Runway, but my silly pleasure was My Fair Wedding, until they changed the format and it became mean-spirited. (I won't call it a "guilty" pleasure though - egads, I have enough real stuff to feel guilty about if I want to go there!)

As for the split, I have been through a painful one myself, and I would not presume to judge yours. In fact, one thing I've learned (or maybe always intuitively understood) is that no one can ever judge a relationship from the outside; there are dynamics at work that are specific to those two people and go far beyond how anything might appear on the surface.

I offer blessing to you and Geoff both and to your children. May there be healing and peace for all of you, whatever form that needs to take.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Love you, Ellen! You're doing an awesome job with your kids and I'm sure you've got some great things in store for you in the coming years.

Katie Trusz said...

Ellen,
You are an amazing woman. Strong in your faith and deep in your love for family. I think that in keeping this all close to your heart, you are allowing healing and growth to take place. May the life ahead of you be filled with dreams come true... Maybe not on the runway, but with those sweet babies in hand!
All my love,
Katie

JT and Sandy said...

Both JT and I are so sorry and hope you both find the happiness you deserve. One quick question where is MR. Whiskers? thanks Sandy trevathan

Heather said...

Hi Ellen! I'll be sure to keep you in my thoughts. My name is Heather and I was just hoping you would be willing to answer my quick question I have about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!